Sunday, January 21, 2007

Oppossible Thumbs


Top of the Mornin', you all. Sunday morning and it's a cold gray day, not sunny a bit, no sun at all. Hey, but it's almost February!

So I'm about ready to finish off a pot of coffee and that last cup always needs reheated. I'm taking it out of the microwave and the Oppossible Thumbs issue hits me. It's a simple 2-step process to correct a peeve that has bugged me about my kid since we've lived here. WHY in heaven's name does he always leave 8 minutes (or so... 8:32, 8:19 or some odd seconds) on the timer display? Because he doesn't know to hit Clear (with his Opossible Thumb) when he's taking the food out that he just cooked? Or too lazy to use the opposable thumb or even a finger to hit that button simultaneously as he reaches inside with his opposable hand? Geez, I need to stop thinking. It must be old age and auto-pilot that makes me think everyone should do things as I do. Or at least in my kitchen. Sheesh

And then I had to look up the spelling on this one:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
op·pos·a·ble [uh-poh-zuh-buhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1.capable of being placed opposite to something else: the opposable thumb of primates.
2.capable of being resisted, fought, or opposed.

[Origin: 1660–70; oppose + -able]

op·pos·a·bil·i·ty, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

So I got it wrong, a couple times. Won't be the first time I'd made up words of my own. Actually I was once famous for that and still doesn't bother me much in the least. Nuff Tuts. Part of my eccentricity is to have that style of my own, no?

And since it's Sunday morning, how about some praises to the Lord:

God love Google: Opposible Thumbs
He really knew what he was doing.
God Save the Queen: And what EXACTLY does she need saving from?
God bring us Hope for this sorry world which shouldn't be all doom and gloom but nice sunny days like we thank you for yesterday.
Add a little jungle prayer for good measure. And this day's good to go. . .

A Buddhist Prayer

Evoking the presence of the great compassion,
let us fill our hearts with our own compassion - towards ourselves and towards all living beings.

Let us pray that all living beings realise that they are all
brothers and sisters, all nourished from the same source of life.

truly

A word about my camera blog links, the pics might not be the best resolution but that should be construed as part of the charm. Get it? (sorry excuse for using the cheapest camera I could find... $10 at Sears, but it's digital land not hard to operate at all if I just leave the settings alone. Then pick half a dozen or so good ones from the 20 I might take, and work it those to tell a little story the furry kids enacted for me. They do that on a daily basis.

God love them.

No comments: